Security Requirements for VPN access
- University systems support the following operating systems:
- Windows 10
- MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) or 10.14.6 (Mojave)
- Antivirus (Choose one of the two options)
- Install and run Malwarebytes (Windows: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou | MacOS: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download) to check for existing infections
- Install SEP (https://www.isc.upenn.edu/how-to/symantec-endpoint-protection); activate Windows Defender on Windows
PREPARE PENNKEY AND 2FA
- PennKey / 2FA
- Using a private browser sign into WorkDay (https://www.workday.upenn.edu) to test knowledge of PennKey password, 2FA setup
- Log into ISC 2FA Management (https://twostep.apps.upenn.edu) to print one-time codes:
- Manage Settings > under Printed Codes, select Generate Codes
- Print the page (do not photograph or save codes on computer or phone) and store securely at home
- One-time codes are used when your primary method (e.g. Duo Mobile) is unavailable
- To use, type a one-time code in the line when prompted for PennKey 2FA code; remember to cross-out this code, as it can only be used once
- Contact IT! We need to configure your DSN account to be able to access the VPN
- Download FortiClient
- Navigate to https://upenn.box.com/s/p2fnlvvqbbyzrgequ2oz1sbga7koj1w8
- Choose version based on OS
- All defaults for installation. Continue to click next until installation starts and is complete
After installation is complete, in the search bar type “FortiClient” and click enter. On the screen below, navigate to “Remote Access”, and then “Configure VPN”.
In the below screenshot, the two most important options are “Remote Gateway” and the “Customize port” check box.
Please make sure that those are identical when configuring the VPN.
5. To connect to the VPN, enter your KITE credentials (Same as axiUm and connecting to the VMware horizon client) and then choose “Connect”. ***You will receive a duo prompt after you connect.
If you ever need to get back to this screen go to “Remote Access” on the left column.
6. Lastly, after you click “Connect”, you should see a screen like the one below showing that the VPN has successfully connected.
7. Once connected to VPN, you can remotely access your work PC as you normally would. Just remember to have first connect to VPN, let it run in background, and then use remote desktop. Please just "Sign Out", "Log Out", or "Disconnect" when work is complete so that remote access is still available next time you login. If you need help with this please feel free to contact IT!