Penn Dental has several tools in place that can help you continue to hold class online even if you or your students cannot come to campus.
This guide will cover using Panopto for asynchronous leaning through webcasting, and Bluejeans for synchronous learning that allows the participant to share video, audio, and screensharing.
Before attempting to use these tools, make sure the operating system and internet browser on your home computer, laptop, and/or tablet are on the latest versions. These tools will work best when systems are up-to-date.
For additional tips, visit https://www.ctl.upenn.edu/resources-and-strategies-teaching-remotely
Live Streaming your lecture in Panopto:
- Log into Canvas and select your course “canvas.upenn.edu”
- Select Class Recordings on the left side of the page
- At the top of the page click “Create” and select “Record a new session”
- If you do not have Panopto installed you will be prompted to download and install. Please download the corresponding version for your laptop. *Note: If downloading the macOS version you will not have chat capability. We recommend having students post questions to the discussion section of Canvas.
- When Panopto launches you will see this screen:
- First, verify that you check “Webcast” in the top right corner. If this is not checked your students will not be able to view the lecture live. Also, verify your course is selected in the folder section.
- Select your sources, Webcam and Microphone, and turn on Screen Capture. You can choose to share your whole screen or just PowerPoint.
- Once you are ready to start click record.
- Once your recording starts you will be able to see the number of viewers in the top right.
- At the bottom of the page, you will be able to see questions from the students. You will need to respond verbally. *Note: If running the macOS version you will not have chat capability. We recommend having students post questions to the discussion section of Canvas.
- When your class is complete click the Stop button and then click done.
- Your webcast will automatically upload to the Canvas course for future viewing.
Live Streaming with BlueJeans:
- Log into Canvas and select your course “upenn.canvas.edu”
- Select Virtual Meetings from the Navigation on the Left Side
- You will be asked to Authorize BlueJeans, please click allow.
- Schedule the time and date you will be teaching your course by clicking schedule in the top right
- Schedule the time and date of your class. Verify that Auto Record and All Course Members is checked.
- This will allow the meeting to be automatically recorded and all students to receive an email invitation to the meeting
- After scheduling the meeting you will see it appear under “New BlueJeans Meetings”
- When you are ready to start your class click “Join”
Your BlueJeans meeting will now begin.